Back in university, Richard Widdicombe my fraternity advisor gave me this poem and I have kept it near me a lot to keep remembering, its about the PEOPLE around us, in our real life, not on TV or the movies. Read below
A Quiz on Life
Take this quiz:
1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America contest.
4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and
6. Name the last decade’s worth of World Series winners.
How did you do?
The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday.
These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields.
But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten.
Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.
Here is another quiz. See how you do on this one:
1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
6. Name half a dozen heroes whose stories have inspired you.
Easier? The lesson?
The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the
most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones
Its our TEACHERS. Our family, our friends that we remember. Many people want to become a famous actor, or movie star……want to be remembered by so many people, make so much money, fame, and glory. To be in the book of world records. But do people really remember you? And then those Hollywood actors and actresses – once they become famous – they are annoyed by having their photos and videos taken of them all the time.
To have an effect on people around you. To make someone in your daily life feel better. Be inspired by you. That is something. That makes getting up in the morning worthwhile.
Again, I write these blogs not only for you guys reading, but to remind myself!!!! I am always fighting to get some huge company, fame, money. I have to realize, thats not what life is about. Sure, its nice to have. But the best feelings in my life have been when people come back to me and tell me that something I said or did for them changed their lives for the better.
I do hope to continue to give and receive inspiration. To change life for the better. And its those people who are around us in our lives that we can help the most, and receive the maximum benefit from having helped.